Leith Walk Police Box is one of 85 police boxes designed by Ebenezer Macrae, City Architect for Edinburgh between 1931 and 1933, to complement Edinburgh’s classical architecture. The design features the city crest and Saltire patterned mouldings. Unlike the pre cast concrete design of Glasgow boxes, the Edinburgh boxes are made of cast iron. They were cast at Carron Foundry near Falkirk.
Box B6 was put into service on 29th May 1933 for use by the City of Edinburgh Police (an amalgamation of Leith Burgh Force and Edinburgh City Police). Originally it stood at the junction of Leith Walk and Albert Street but was moved 22 yards to the West on 19th May 1979 by the recently formed Lothian and Borders Police.